Journals + Books
- Oliver D, Bartie P, Heathwaite AL,Reaney S, Parnell J & Quilliam R (2017) A catchment-scale model to predict spatial and temporal burden of E. coli on pasture from grazing livestock , STOTEN [link]
- Bartie P, Mackaness W, Lemon O, Dalmas T, Janarthanam S, Hill R, Dickinson A, Liu X (2017) – A Dialogue Based Mobile Virtual Assistant for Tourists:The SpaceBook Project, Computers Environment and Urban Systems, 67
- Bartie P, Mackaness W.A. (2016) – Improving the Sampling Strategy for Point-to-Point Line-Of-Sight Modelling in Urban Environments, International Journal of GIS http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/
13658816.2016.1243243 . [50 free downloads]
- Bartie P, Mackaness W.A, Petrenz P, Dickinson, A (2015) Identifying related landmark tags in urban scenes using spatial and semantic clustering, Computers Environment and Urban Systems, 52, p48-57 doi:10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2015.03.003
- Bartie, P., Mackaness, W. A., (2015) Mapping the visual magnitude of popular tourist sites in Edinburgh city, Journal of Maps,Taylor & Francis doi: 10.1080/17445647.2014.1001453 [pdf] (50 free downloads)
- Mackaness, W. A., Bartie, P., & Sanchez-Rodilla, C. (2014). Understanding Information Requirements in ‘Text Only’ Pedestrian Wayfinding Systems. (Vol. 8728). Vienna: Springer International Publishing.
- Bartie P, Clemetini E, Reitsma F (2013) A Qualitative Model for Describing the Arrangement of Visible Cityscape Objects from an Egocentric Viewpoint, Computers Environment and Urban Systems, 38C, 21-34. [pdf]
- Bartie P, Reitsma F, Mills S (2011) Building colour terms: A combined GIS and stereo vision approach to identifying building pixels in images to determine appropriate colour terms, Journal of Spatial Information Science 2: 59-83.
- Bartie P, Reitsma F, Kingham S, Mills S (2011) Incorporating vegetation into visual exposure modelling in urban environments, International Journal of Geographical Information Science 5: 851-868. [pdf]
- Kingham, S., Sabel, C.E. and Bartie, P. (2011) The impact of the ‘school run’ on road traffic accidents: A spatio-temporal analysis, Journal of Transport Geography 19(4): 705-711.
- Bartie, P. J. & Kumler, M. P. (2010) Route Ahead Visibility Mapping: A method to model how far ahead a motorist may view a designated route. Journal of Maps, April 2010, 84-95. [pdf]
- Bartie, P. J., Reitsma, F., Kingham, S. & Mills, S., (2010) Advancing Visibility Modelling Algorithms for Urban Environments. Computers Environment and Urban Systems , 34(5): 518-531. [pdf]
- Bartie, P. & Kingham, S., (2010). Media Mapping: Using Georeferenced Images and Audio to provide supporting information for the Analysis of Environmental Sensor Datasets. The Journal of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation, 8.
- Bartie, P, Mills S, Kingham S (2008) An Egocentric Urban Viewshed: A Method for Landmark Visibility Mapping for Pedestrian Location Based Services. IN Moore, A, Drecki, I (Eds.) Geospatial Vision. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg
- Kingham S, Fisher G, Hales S, Wilson I, Bartie P (2008) An empirical model for estimating census unit population exposure in areas lacking air quality monitoring, Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology 18: 200-210.
- Pearce J, Blakely T, Witten K, Bartie P (2007) Neighbourhood Deprivation and Access to Fast-Food Retailing. A National Study. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 32: 375-382.
- Bartie PJ, Mackaness WA (2006) Development of a speech-based augmented reality system to support exploration of cityscape. Transactions in GIS 10: 63-86.
- Pearce J, Witten K, Bartie P (2006) Neighbourhoods and health: A GIS approach to measuring community resource accessibility. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 60: 389-395.
- Macaulay B, Bartie P , and Mackaness W (2018) Avoiding Point Data Aggregation Issues When Defining Vernacular Regions From Flickr Data, GISRUK, Leicester, 17th-20th April 2018 [pdf]
- Law A, Gaywood M, Jones K, Ramsey P, Bartie P & Willby N (2018), Using ecosystem engineers as tools in habitat restoration and rewilding: beaver and wetlands, Scottish Freshwater Group, Stirling. (poster)
- Oliver D, Bartie P, Heathwaite L, Pschetz, Quilliam R (2016) Design of a decision support tool for visualising E.coli risks on agricultural land using a stakeholder-drive approach, Diffuse Pollution and Catchment Management Conference (DPCM2016), Dublin, Ireland, 23-27 Oct 2016
- Mackaness W, Bartie P (2016) Ontologies and Pattern Recognition Techniques in the Automatic Identification of Higher Order Geographical Concepts in the Context of Map Generalisation, 19th ICA workshop on generalisation and multiple representation (GENEMR2016), Helsinki, 4th June 2016
- Bartie P, Mackaness W, Gkatzia D, Rieser V (2016) The REAL Corpus: A Crowd-Sourced Corpus of Human Generated and Evaluated Spatial References to Real-World Urban Scenes, LREC, Slovenia, 23 – 28 May [link]
- Gkatzia D, Rieser, V, Bartie P, Mackaness W.A. (2015) From the Virtual to the Real World: Referring to Objects in Real-World Spatial Scenes. EMNLP conference, Portugal 17 to 21 September.
- Mackaness W.A. Bartie P., Sanchez-Rodilla, C. (2014) Understanding Information Requirements in ‘Text Only’ Pedestrian Wayfinding Systems. GIScience Conference Vienna 24-26 September.
- Bartie P., Mackaness W.A. Petrenz P., Dickinson, A. (2014) Automated clustering of Landmark Tags in Urban Images, GISRUK Conference, Glasgow University, April 16-18.
- Mackaness, W.A. Bartie P., Sanchez-Rodilla, C. (2014) The ‘when, how and what’ of Text Based Wayfinding Instructions for Urban Pedestrians. GISRUK Conference, Glasgow University, April 16-18.
- Mackaness, W.A. Bartie, P. Dalmas, T., Janarthanam, S., Lemon, O.,Liu X., Webber B., (2014) Talk the Walk and Walk the talk: Design, Implementation and Evaluation of a Spoken Dialogue System for Route Following and City Learning, Annual Conference of the Association of American Geographers, Tampa Florida, 7-13 April.
- Font O, Frances G, Jonsson A, Bartie P,Mackaness W.A. (2014) Probabilistic Activity Recognition for Navigation In proceeding of: Workshop on Positioning, Navigation and Communication (WPNC’14), At Dresden 11 March 2014.
- Bartie P, Mackaness WA (2013) – Directing a User’s Gaze using Salient Landmarks – GISRUK Conference Proceedings, 3-5 April, Liverpool. (Best Paper Award)
- Mackaness, W.A. Bartie, P. Dalmas, T. Janarthanam, S., Lemon, O., Liu X, Webber B (2013) SpaceBook: Designing and Evaluating Spoken Dialogue Based Systems for Urban Exploration GISRUK Conference Proceedings, 3-5 April, Liverpool.
- Janarthanam, S., Lemon, O., Liu, X., Bartie, P., Mackaness, W., & Dalmas, T. (2013). “A Multithreaded Conversational Interface for Pedestrian Navigation and Question Answering.” Paper presented at the SIGDIAL 2013, Metz.
- Janarthanam S, Lemon O, Bartie P, Dalmas T, Liu X, Mackaness W, and Webber B (2013), “Evaluating a City Exploration Dialogue System with Integrated Question-Answering and Pedestrian Navigation”, Proceedings of ACL 2013
- Pinchin J, Bartie P, Mackaness W (2013) – “Outdoor Foot Mounted Inertial Navigation – A Particle Filter Approach”, European Navigation Conference, April 23-25, Vienna, Austria
- Bartie P, Mackaness WA (2012) – Optimal Sampling Strategies for Line-Of-Sight Calculations in Urban Regions – GISRUK Conference Proceedings, 11-13 April, Lancaster.
- Janarthanam, S., Lemon, O., Liu, X., Bartie, P., Mackaness, W., Dalmas, T. & Goetze, J., (2012) A spoken dialogue system for pedestrian city exploration: integrating navigation, visibility, and Question-Answering. SemDial. September 2012, Paris.
- Janarthanam, S., Lemon, O., Liu, X., Bartie, P., Mackaness, W., Dalmas, T. & Goetze, J., (2012) Integrating location, visibility, and Question-Answering in a spoken dialogue system for Pedestrian City Exploration. SIGDIAL. 5-6 Jul 2012, South Korea.
- Janarthanam, S., Lemon, O., Liu, X., Bartie, P., Mackaness, W., Dalmas, T. & Goetze, J, (2012) Conversational Natural Language interaction for Place-Related Knowledge Acquistion, Place-related Knowledge Acquisition Research Workshop (PKAR), Spatial Cognition Conference, Germany
- Bartie, P., Reitsma, F., Clementini, E. and Kingham, S. (2011) Referring Expressions in Location Based Services: The Case of the ‘Opposite’ Relation. Brussels, Belgium: 30th International Conference on Conceptual Modelling (ER 2011), 31 Oct-3 Nov 2011. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS): Advances in Conceptual Modelling. Recent Developments and New Directions 6999,: 231-240
- Bartie, P. & Kingham, S., (2009). Media Mapping: Using Georeferenced Images and Audio to provide supporting information for the Analysis of Environmental Sensor Datasets, Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial (FOSS4G), 20-23 Oct 2009, Sydney, Australia
- Bartie, P, Mills S, Kingham S (2008) Landmark Visibility Mapping for Pedestrian Location Based Services. In Proceedings of the 20th SIRC/GeoCart Conference, Auckland, New Zealand.
- O’Donohue, D., Mills, S., Kingham, S., Bartie, P. and Park, D. (2008) Combined Thermal-LIDAR Imagery for Urban Mapping. Lincoln, New Zealand: 23rd International Conference Image and Vision Computing New Zealand (IVCNZ08), 26-28 Nov 2008. In Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference Image and Vision Computing New Zealand (IVCNZ08).
- Sabel, C.E., Bartie, P., Kingham, S. and Nicholson, A. (2006) Kernel Density Estimation as a spatial-temporal data mining tool: exploring road traffic accident trends. University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK: Geographical Information Science Research UK 2006 (GISRUK’06), 5-7 Apr 2006.: 191-196
- Mackaness, W. A., and Bartie, P. (2005) Mobile City Guide using Speech Based Interaction and Augmented Reality Technology, AGI Conference Proceedings, London 8-10 November (Best Paper Award)
- Sabel, C.E., Kingham, S., Nicholson, A., Bartie, P (2005) Road traffic accident simulation modelling-a Kernel estimation approach, Presented at SIRC 2005 (November), The 17th Annual Colloquium of the Spatial Information Research Centre.
- Mackaness, W. A., and Bartie, P. (2005), ‘EARS – Edinburgh Augmented Reality Sysem – Guiding tourists in Urban Landscapes.’ GISRUK 2005, University of Glasgow (Best Paper Award)
- Bartie P, O’Donohue D (2008) Parallel GIS on the BlueFern Supercomputer Geospatial Research Centre(NZ) Technical Report 2008.
- Hornecker E, Bartie P (2006) Technology in Tourism: Handheld Guide Systems and Museum Technologies. HitLabNZ Technical Report 2006.
- Code Acts in Education 2014, Stirling – participant
- RefNet 2014 – Referring Expression Workshop, Edinburgh – poster
- SICSA Future Cities 3: – A bottom up approach (2014), Dundee – participant
- REAL Corpus – published at LREC 2016 – data download from here
An open dataset of human generated object descriptions in real world urban scenes
Reviewer for Journals (including):
+IJGIS +CEUS +IJDE +JOSIS +Landscape & Urban Planning
+Journal of Environmental Planning and Management +Transactions in GIS
+Computer and Graphics +Applied Geography